How are you most often described? Cute, funny, smart, clever? Or something more offensive; dork, nerd, whore, idiot? Does that descriptor really define you?
I like to be upfront with people. When someone does something that bothers me, I say so. I do have a filter when I feel it is necessary, but I don’t like to let my irritation build to anger until I explode. But, apparently, that is what society prefers.
I am outspoken, sarcastic and sometimes obnoxious. I speak my mind and it sometimes gets me in trouble. And, as a result, people call me a bitch. At times, I definitely can be, but I don’t think that just because I confront my problems head-on or that I speak my mind I am a bitch. I have dealt with the sort of reaction for people for a while now. I have come to terms with it, but when I reflect on it, it is a little upsetting. I am the one people go to when someone needs to be put in their place. I like being able to stand up for my friends, and sometimes that means I am the bad guy, but I can accept that.
Being a bitch doesn’t mean that I’m wrong. That is not to say that I don’t make mistakes, of course I do. But there are definitely situations when being a bitch is the right to do.
The major problem is that somehow that means my “bitch-ness” is contagious. When a friend stands up for them self, or speaking their mind then the only reasonable conclusion is that, “you are rubbing off on them”. What does that mean? That they cannot be honest or upfront without my influence? I feel that is demeaning to them and somewhat derogatory towards me.
I won’t be deterred by this, however. I like who I am, and I believe that problems should be solved directly and in a timely manner. Passive aggressive responses often make problems compound and then something that could have been solved with a simple conversation is blown out of proportion.
So, even though I think it is ludicrous that speaking my mind and not being afraid of confrontation makes me a bitch, I’ll take it. I would much rather people think I am a bitch, than think I am a pushover. What you call “bitch” I call strong woman. And now, when someone calls me by that name I hear “I’m intimidated because you are a tough girl.”
So go ahead, call me what you want. I like who I am and I will not be silent just because it fits better with non-confrontation society.
And that’s what Marika Sings.
No comments:
Post a Comment